As a part of Atlantic Media, Inc., National Journal (NJ) provides insight and intelligence on how Washington works. We conduct research, publish slides and reports, develop tools, and provide advisory services. Our diverse membership of companies includes the world’s leading corporations, nonprofits, associations, and policymakers.
NJ seeks a Research Analyst with proven analytical skills, deep intellectual curiosity, and a passion for fact-based research with real-world impact. This entrepreneurial, innovative and driven individual uncovers member challenges, produces research-based strategic insight, presents content to executive audiences, and identifies opportunities for new products that serve our diverse membership.
An interest in the business of Washington government affairs offices, combined with research and consulting experience is welcome.
About our Future Research Analyst:
- You are excited by all types of research—both quantitative and qualitative—and apply a high level of rigor and strong data hygiene practices to all phases of the work
- You know that research must be made accessible to be consumed and are skilled at producing graphically-oriented research summaries
- You are always excited by the prospect of teaching what you’ve learned, putting your superior writing skills and excellent oral communication skills to good use
- You listen and quickly adapt when requirements change, exhibiting a willingness to “go above and beyond” in service to others, you are equally effective working independently or in a team
- You have a track record of building new initiatives from conception to execution, exhibiting strong intellectual agility and curiosity, always eager to tackle new topics and skills
- You “nerd out” when presented with data outputs, and you creatively apply tools to uncover critical (and unexpected) trends in data
- You know when to shift gears, when to dive deep into data exploration and when to distill the information gathered to produce actionable insight
- You recognize that eyes can glaze over when it comes to talk of t-statistics, so you enjoy telling stories with data, with an eye towards finding the “so what” behind an analysis
- Test/evaluate research concepts and product ideas through primary and secondary research; plan and conduct qualitative interviews and focus groups; design and execute quantitative research surveys
- Manage and analyze large quantities of (qualitative and quantitative) data and contextualize relevant findings within larger trends
- Produce visually-oriented research deliverables with high-quality graphics, such as charts, tables, or infographics
- Present research content to senior executives (in person, via webinars and in phone calls); conduct and facilitate content discussions
- Identify and report on trends that guide research deliverables and product development decisions; explain and present research findings to colleagues and members
- Perform in-depth competitive analysis to scope market opportunities for new products; provide support in finalizing new product plans and refining business cases
- Maintain and foster strong relationships with members, responding to inbound research inquiries by individual member organizations as needed
Preferred Attributes of the Ideal Candidate:
- 1-3 years (post-undergraduate) experience conducting research in a professional setting
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel
- Excellent visualization and writing skills; strong public speaking, presentation, and discussion facilitation skills
- Excellent time management and judgment, demonstrated proficiency managing simultaneous projects from start to finish
- Outstanding client-service ethic and experience interacting with executives
- Experience or training in quantitative research methods, statistical analysis, or econometric modelling, and/or experience with survey software or data analysis software a plus
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions -
Force of Intellect - Atlantic Media seeks a discipline and rigor of thought as manifested, often, in exceptional academic performance and, later, success in a professional environment.
Spirit of Generosity - Equally, Atlantic Media seeks what we term a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition towards service and selfless conduct.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.