Quartz is looking for a developer to work with the Quartz Bot Studio to help create conversational interfaces for text- and voice-based messaging platforms. Come work, play, and experiment on a team of a smart, generous, innovative people making narrative projects with conversational text and voice interfaces for journalism, training, commercial projects, events, and more.
This role is a full-time, one-year contract position with benefits.
- Proficiency with Node
- Experience coding in markup languages such as Markdown or HTML.
- Work in an editorial or content-creation setting
- Experience with database creation, use, and management
- Proficiency in computer languages in general, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn new scripting languages
- Experience building APIs
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, particularly building lambda functions
- Past work in a journalism setting
- Experience building text-based or voice-based conversational interfaces
- Experience writing in RiveScript
- Learning and becoming an expert in the bot-scripting language RiveScript.
- Converting bot scripts written in English into functional bot code using RiveScript
- Testing and debugging bot code
- Managing, maintaining, and securing user databases
- Experiment, prototype, and play with new ideas and applications for conversational interfaces
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.