Quartz, which creates high-quality global business journalism that thrives in the digital age, is seeking a director of communications to lead efforts to reach more people, more frequently and in more places around the world.
What you’ll do:
— Define the next phase of Quartz’s communications strategy. In partnership with our management team, develop a communications strategy that maps to our ambitions for the next several years, including selecting our areas of focus, setting goals and milestones, resource planning, and following through on execution.
— Lead PR planning and execution for launches, initiatives, and other major events. Ensure that company announcements are tightly honed and get maximum exposure among the right audiences. This includes: setting PR priorities, identifying target outlets and contacts, crafting messaging and supplemental details, arranging interviews and related logistics, coaching spokespersons, reporting back to internal stakeholders, and handling follow up.
— Proactively identify PR opportunities and be ready to capitalize on them. Seek ways to regularly grow Quartz’s exposure and ensure that we’re primed to act on them. This entails:
- Keeping our communications narrative and messaging on point and up to date
- Maintaining expertise of the media and technology landscape, consumer trends, and competitors’ behavior
- Forging and nurturing relationships with journalists, bloggers, PR agencies, and other key contacts
- Identifying and evaluating creative partnerships and speaking engagements that grow exposure among both our consumer and industry audiences
- Collaborating with leads in editorial, product, marketing, and sales to uncover and develop potential PR stories
- Continuously pitching Quartz staff for broadcast appearances, handling the necessary logistics, managing preparation and research, and conducting follow up
— Empower our staff to readily, accurately represent the brand as needed. Serve as both coach and advocate by disseminating our communications messaging (and success stories) throughout the company, and enabling others to participate. This entails:
- Identifying opportunities for staff training (e.g., media training, panel participation, presentation 101)
- Coordinating communications strategy around key company developments—what the messaging focus should be, specific talking points, what’s off limits
- Monitoring day-to-day PR activity and providing analysis over longer time periods
- Providing up-to-date core communications materials to staff as needed
What you’ll bring:
- An entrepreneurial, non-traditional approach to PR. You think in terms of the story and the audience, not the format or the traditions of an industry. (Your instinct is to avoid press releases in favor of newer, more creative ways to get the message out.)
- A diverse and ever-evolving network of journalists, writers, broadcast, PR agencies, and other key contacts—ideally one that’s global in scope.
- A global mindset. You understand the nuances of storytelling across cultures and global regions. (Bonus points if you speak multiple languages and have lived internationally.)
- Excellent writing skills. You treat every word with purpose and every sentence as an official statement from the brand.
- Confident, comfortable in-person presence. You’re able to drum up excitement for your ideas and earn the respect of both your colleagues and external contacts.
The new director will report to Quartz's Co-CEOs and Publisher and regularly collaborate with stakeholders across the company. You’ll be working out of our office in the Flatiron, and will manage a to-be-hired Communications Associate.
Quartz recruits talent for two salient attributes or qualities:
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Quartz work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Quartz seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Quartz writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Quartz Media LLC is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.