AtlanticLIVE, the live events arm of The Atlantic, seeks a highly motivated, strategic, and digital-savvy marketer to join our Events team as Director of Audience Engagement.
AtlanticLIVE builds on the 160-year legacy of The Atlantic, offering 3-D journalism to audiences hungry for lively discussion of contemporary issues, including politics, business, education, health, and technology. We produce more than 125 events a year across the country and around the world. These include large scale national and international events like The Atlantic Festival and CityLab; along with topical forums on everything from education to criminal justice; and "on the record" roundtable dinners with leading thinkers. AtlanticLIVE has won numerous awards for its events, including the Folio: FAME Awards. Some events are ticketed; others are free and open to the public.
The Director of Audience Engagement is responsible for developing, managing, and executing marketing strategies and email campaigns to meet audience recruitment goals across our live events. We are looking for someone who can build on our successful, extensive network, while helping us streamline our current campaigns and develop new ways of reaching diverse audiences across a wide-range of subjects. The candidate will have excellent communication skills and write fluently. Our ideal candidate will have seven-plus years of experience in building audiences for live events, and/or relevant marketing experience.
- Manage a three-to-five person audience recruitment team
- Create and lead the team in the execution of email marketing plans and recruitment strategies to achieve in-room audience objectives for events
- Manage processes around registration, ticketing, attendance, audience engagement (pre-event, on-site and post-event), etc.
- Lead research strategy for developing tailored audience lists (for niche as well as broad editorial events)
- Oversee CRM management and devise innovative and strategic marketing campaigns to increase contact base
- Develop creative and effective messaging for audience email communications by understanding the content of each event
- Lead review and copy edit process for all external audience communications, including email invitations, website, confirmation notes, etc.
- Establish and continuously refresh audience communications best practices to optimize tactics, including A/B testing, messaging tactics, and segmenting
- Collaborate with Events marketing team to develop comprehensive consumer marketing campaigns
- Work with the team to identify, negotiate, and manage strategic partnerships to help achieve audience objectives
- Collaborate and work closely with other company divisions to enhance cross-platform audience efforts
- Understand metrics for audience engagement and consistently monitor, analyze, and report on audience results
- Actively participate in the ideation of new event concepts as an enterprising, entrepreneurial, and productive team contributor, identifying new means of innovation to grow AtlanticLIVE’s impact across all constituent groups (e.g., in-person attendees, online viewers/readers, speakers, underwriters)
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- Proven track record in developing and executing audience marketing campaigns
- Exceptional editing and writing skills, specifically in persuasive copywriting
- Strong skills in analytical and strategic thinking; ability to understand and use relevant information about market issues and audience interests to develop compelling messaging
- Meticulous attention to detail and superior organizational skills
- Proven and effective manager of people and projects
- Ability to forge strong relationships with colleagues, clients, and strategic partners
- Fluency in Excel, CRM products (Salesforce preferred), web-based email applications, and event platforms such as Cvent, Eventbrite and Splash; CSS and HTML experience preferred
- Effective negotiation skills and the ability to understand and negotiate contracts
- Ability to juggle many projects at once in a fast-paced environment; also a proactivity in pursuing new projects and solving bigger team challenges
- Flexibility and ability to push through indecision and ambiguity to deliver results
- Welcomes feedback and is always eager to continually learn and take work to a higher level
- A curious mind, with a particular fascination for news and modern media trends
- Unfailingly demonstrates a spirit of entrepreneurialism, intellect, positivity, and generosity
- Seven-plus years of relevant experience
Atlantic Media Values
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.