National Journal is looking for dynamic researchers to help launch its newest product offering.
What is National Journal’s newest product?
We are Washington’s go-to resource for research on the most influential people in policy and politics, producing content exclusively for senior public policy practitioners and government affairs executives. Our diverse membership includes policy practitioners and senior professionals from the world’s leading companies, nonprofits, and associations.
Our newest product will serve as an unparalleled repository of knowledge and insight on the people shaping policy discussions and political discourse and will serve thousands of professionals across Washington. The team building the product will research the most influential individuals, from public officials to policy professionals, researchers, advocates, media voices, and beyond. Using this baseline knowledge and our expertise, we will also create content tailored to members’ needs, delivering customized profiles, executive briefings, and programming to top tier Washington advocates.
- You are excited about helping National Journal launch its newest offering, refining the product model, and building a team to support the product
- You are a meticulous researcher and apply a high level of analytic rigor to all phases of work
- You know when to shift gears, balancing deep dives into data exploration and distilling the information gathered to produce actionable insights
- You are interested in creating something new, cultivating and leading a small team, and refining a nascent research model
- You are excited by the prospect of teaching what you’ve learned and investing in your colleagues
- You listen and quickly adapt when requirements change, exhibiting a willingness to go above and beyond in service to others
- You are a policy wonk or politics guru and while you may be deep on one topic, you are conversant and knowledgeable across a diverse range of subjects
- You have strong project management skills, able to balance a diverse workload, prioritize tasks, and produce deliverables in an orderly fashion
- Conducts intensive and thorough research on the people shaping policy and politics at the federal and state level
- Synthesizes and analyzes qualitative data into a professional product, contextualizing and interpreting findings to provide a holistic and nuanced characterization of an individual
- Iterates and refines our nascent research model, finding new data sources or efficiencies and streamlining our production process
- Engages with clients for feedback on the work with an eye toward further refining the product offering
- Edits junior colleagues’ work for accuracy and quality
- Coaches junior colleagues on work production, development of analytic lines, and project management
- As needed, provides briefings to clients on work, produces custom client deliverables, and ensures client satisfaction with work product
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- 2-4 years (post-undergraduate) experience conducting research in a professional setting; an excellent academic record
- Meticulous researcher with unflagging commitment to objective, thorough work
- Experience synthesizing qualitative research, ability to distill large amounts of information into concise summaries and takeaways
- Excellent time management and judgment, demonstrated proficiency managing competing project priorities and adhering to timelines
- Demonstrated interest in public policy and politics, with an appetite for unpacking diverse or niche policy topics
- Natural coaching mentality with ability to train colleagues on new research methods, provide detailed feedback, and ensure quality control
- Comfortable working in fast-paced, fluid environments; able to transition quickly to new projects
- Commitment to growth and learning mindset
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions -
Force of Intellect - Atlantic Media seeks a discipline and rigor of thought as manifested, often, in exceptional academic performance and, later, success in a professional environment.
Spirit of Generosity - Equally, Atlantic Media seeks what we term a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition towards service and selfless conduct.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.