Ballast Research is dedicated to equipping federal and state advocates and policymakers in the public, private, and social sector with original data and insights to inform their work. Our clients are among the most well-known, expert, and engaged in matters of policy and law. We serve them closely with a growing scope of support services anchored in proprietary evidence and data.
Our team is fast-growing and encourages collaborative discussion within and between teams. We are looking for smart, nice, and curious people who want to take a data-driven approach to problem solving.
Atlantic Media Fellowship
Atlantic Media offers highly ambitious recent college graduates a unique full-time opportunity to participate in our Fellowship Program. This Program is a structured, year-long, paid fellowship for top-tier talent committed to careers in media in business or editorial functions. Additionally, the Atlantic Media Fellows participate in the Atlantic Media Academy, a comprehensive curriculum providing a 360-degree view of the modern media industry covering the editorial, operational, and economic sides of both magazine and digital journalism today.
This Fellowship position will begin in July and will run through June 2019.
Each consulting fellow will closely contribute to the following areas of work:
- Data-Based Consulting. Report creation and analysis based on proprietary research and data on the effectiveness of federal and state advocacy.
- Client Expert. Typically serve 3-5 “brand name” clients with insights and analysis, custom follow-up and implementation guidance.
- Product and Service Development. Identify opportunities to develop expertise and support principal consultants in developing new markets and services.
The Core Responsibilities
Fellows will have primary responsibility for the following areas of our engagements:
- Client Knowledge. Partner with a Director to onboard, interview, and understand the unique needs for each of the 3-5 clients “owned” by an individual fellow.
- Policymaker Interviews. For each client, design and develop (in coordination with the client and qualitative research leads) interview agendas and guides; conducting roughly 30 peer-to-peer conversations with the highest level of policymaker at the federal and/or state levels.
- Quantitative Benchmarking. Analyze a rich data set of peer and industry benchmarking data, including longitudinal and demographic breakdowns, to surface key trends, insights, and actionable recommendations to inform a client’s advocacy strategy.
- System-Wide Contribution. Play a supportive role across formalized and ad-hoc teams to enhance an internal culture of support, feedback, and creating new opportunities.
- Innovation. Consistently contribute new ideas, ways to serve client needs, process improvements, and program-wide initiatives that advance the entire program’s success; seeking out and taking ownership wherever possible.
Qualifications of a Successful Candidate
We have enjoyed success finding graduates in economics, pre-law, and liberal arts studies with extreme talent interested in research, consulting, and close client service.
- Dedication to client service. Above all, we serve clients wherever they need our support.
- Tolerance for ambiguity. As a dynamic and growing service firm, we are best when we can, through some trial and error, accept the ambiguity of client needs and channel those needs to specific services.
- Entrepreneurial drive. We are inspired by disruption, driven by innovation, and skeptical of the status quo. We are always seeking to improve and to grow.
- Deep intellectual curiosity. We are looking for the best ideas and the best minds to generate them.
Who an Atlantic Media Business Fellow Is:
As a world-renowned enterprise that thinks and acts like a digital media startup, we place a premium on finding exceptional talent. We seek individuals with fresh perspectives who constantly push us to be at the forefront of an increasingly digital, mobile and social world.
Atlantic Media Values – at Least by Aspiration:
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an equal opportunity employer of minorities, women, veterans, and those with disabilities.