The Atlantic is looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join its Product Engineering team in our DC or NYC office to help build the future of media. The Atlantic is a digital-first media company with over 160 years of history and 36 million readers a month, and as a Site Reliability Engineer you will help enable our team to build creative and engaging new features that support The Atlantic’s journalism.
At The Atlantic, we use a wide range of technologies both in the AWS Cloud, and our own colo hardware, including Python, NodeJS, Docker, NGinx, Terraform, Puppet, and Jenkins. However, as a team, we value curiosity and flexibility over specific technical experience.
As a Senior member of our Site Reliability Team you will…
- Strategize with your teammates about the best way to leverage cloud technologies
- Streamline our deployments by maintaining and improving our continuous integration environments for Python and NodeJS code
- Ensure reliability with a focus on infrastructure as code
- Improve developer workflows with automatic Slack, GitHub, Jenkins, and Jira integrations or notifications
- Collaborate with The Atlantic’s Product, Platform, and Data Engineering teams to plan, prototype, and execute ambitious projects on deadline
As a Senior engineer you are…
- Experienced working on large projects: You have collaborated with technical and non-technical team members to break up large projects into ordered, discrete tasks for a project plan.
- Knowledgeable about our core technologies: You are capable on the command line and have a strong understanding of Linux, networking and databases.
- Comfortable with a broad set of tools: You feel as comfortable working in traditional VMs as you do with modern serverless cloud solutions.
- A strong communicator: You can distill complex technical ideas for a diverse set of stakeholders from developers to editors, product managers, and executives. You can write clear and concise documentation.
- Adaptable: The idea of working on multiple projects of different sizes on different technology stacks excites you.
- A critical thinker: You don’t need to be told how to get from point A to point B. You are up for the challenge of figuring how the pieces of a modern web stack fit together.
Employees at The Atlantic are entitled to benefits including: 401(k) savings plan with employer match, health care with domestic partner coverage, unlimited vacation and sick leave policy, and commuter benefits.
Atlantic Media Values
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.