Route Fifty, an award-winning digital publication of Government Executive Media Group, connects the people and ideas advancing state, county and municipal government across the United States. Areas of coverage include criminal justice, technology, housing, infrastructure, transit, pensions, public finance and federal policies affecting state and local government. Government Executive Media Group is the premier publisher in the federal government market. In addition to Route Fifty, its publications include Government Executive, Nextgov and Defense One.
Route Fifty seeks a sharp, driven and highly efficient assistant editor to play a key role in its daily news operation. This person will report to the managing editor and provide assistance in directing our efforts to provide smart, indispensable, accessible and timely coverage of key issues of interest to state and local government officials.
- Preparation of daily and weekly e-newsletters
- Writing blog posts and brief news articles, with the opportunity to write longer pieces
- Monitoring other Atlantic Media publications and partner organizations and cross-posting stories on state and local issues
- Light editing of articles by staff reporters and external contributors as needed
- Managing the process of sharing Route Fifty stories on social media
- Compilation and editing of ebooks and digital special reports
- Assisting with awards programs and events
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- Professional journalistic experience as an editor and/or writer
- Strong editing, writing and analytical skills and high attention to detail
- Experience working with online content management systems
- Experience in managing social media accounts
- A positive, good-natured, energetic, team-oriented attitude
Please include links to three examples of your work in addition to your resume and cover letter.
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in its candidates. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions.
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, giving voice, argument, and flight to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.
Atlantic Media is an EOE of Minorities/Women/Vets/Disability.