Government Executive seeks a staff correspondent to cover executive branch management issues affecting nearly 3 million civil servants. This is a critical beat during a consequential period as the Trump administration seeks to fundamentally reshape the role of government, improve the way agencies serve citizens and hold federal employees accountable for results.
● Produce breaking news stories as well as deeply-reported analytical pieces
● Cover administration policies and congressional actions that affect the federal workforce, including developments in pay and benefits programs, civil service reform initiatives, etc.
● Develop deep sources among senior executives and managers, as well as professional associations and employee unions Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate
● At least three years of reporting experience
● A deep interest in how agencies deliver on the missions and policies established by Congress and the administration
● A facility with data, charts and graphics
● An aptitude for translating government jargon into engaging prose
● An ability to parse government reports and budget documents to find the truly valuable nuggets
● An ability to shift gears quickly when news breaks or circumstances dictate
● Effective time management and organizational skills
About Government Executive
The publications of Government Executive Media Group have provided critical news, information and analysis for high-ranking public sector executives and leaders of the national security establishment for more than 40 years. Government Executive is the leading source of daily news about the the operations of the executive branch of the federal government. Our editorial mission is to cover the business of government and its huge departments and agencies.
Atlantic Media Values:
● Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual integrity, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
● Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks those with natural disposition toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth – critical on the merits, but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character. To apply, please visit us online at www.atlanticmediacompany.com. Please include links to three examples of your work in addition to your resume and cover letter.
Atlantic Media Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer