Atlantic Studios explores multimedia storytelling in the rapidly evolving world of online video. We produce original documentaries, animations, and other nonfiction videos for The Atlantic’s digital properties and beyond. We also feature a curated showcase of work by independent creators called Atlantic Selects on our video channel.
We seek a producer/shooter/editor to develop and oversee our opinion video series The Atlantic Argument. Shot in studio, the series transforms writers’ ideas and analysis into short videos, blending direct-to-camera delivery, archival media, and animation. The ideal candidate is skilled at researching and writing scripts and directing talent. This role will not involve producing documentaries in the field but it will include opportunities to work with writers on short-format hosted videos beyond The Atlantic Argument. The producer will report to the senior producer and work out of The Atlantic’s offices in Washington, D.C.
- Researching, writing, shooting, and editing original videos on subjects The Atlantic covers, including politics, science, culture, and more
- Shaping and managing an original series from pitch to publishing
- Balancing multiple projects and deadlines with grace and skill
- Collaborating closely with The Atlantic’s journalists to develop ideas, craft scripts, and shoot in studio
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- At least two years of professional experience
- A track record of success creating compelling, shareable videos for the web
- A creative, innovative sensibility and high editorial standards
- Strong research and writing skills
- A deep knowledge of industry-standard software (Adobe CC), digital video production, and online video platforms
- Excellent attention to detail, thoroughness, and accuracy
- A love of collaboration and experimentation
Atlantic Media Values:
Across Atlantic Media, generally, the firm looks for two “pillar gifts” in you, and everyone else. In all of us, these are more aspirational than actual, but they are central in our intentions –
- Force of Ideas: At the center of Atlantic Media work are the ideas within our writing. We believe that ideas – to the good and not – have consequence. Our highest work is bringing rigor, insight, intellectual honesty, to that ultimate purpose of separating the bad from the good, and giving voice to the latter.
- Spirit of Generosity: Atlantic Media seeks in its ranks a spirit of generosity – a natural disposition in each colleague toward service and selfless conduct. Atlantic Media writing should be cut from the same cloth –critical on the merits but informed by charity and forbearance in measuring motive and personal character.